Being Honest in A Marriage or Relationship
I have been bothered by something the last few days by a "Friend" who hasn't been honest with her husband.. it bugs the hell out of me. I know every couple is different and some have secrets behind closed doors and some skeletons that they don't want anyone to find out.
I'm pretty lucky that Robert and I both have an open relationship and don't keep any secrets from each other.. No matter how much I try to keep something from him.. I always end up telling him everything.. because we both made a promise to never keep anything from each other, and we took our vows "for better or for worse" So if there's something bad that has happened.. that's a part of the "Or For Worse"...
So, why can't people who are married or in a committed relationship be honest with their loved ones?? no matter how bad it is.. if the other person gets mad.. I'm sure they will get over it once they understand why and what happened.. but to keep it a secret and hope they dont' ever find out, I think makes the situation even worse once the other person finds out because it's bound to come out somehow , someway.. It's NEVER worth keeping secrets from those you love..
I remember back in middle school I had a guidance counselor who told me.. "onec you lie..it'll come back on you sooner or later" and I do believe keeping a secret is a lie..
Granted, there is a few secrets that should be kept.. but for little things like, a birthday party that's gonna be a surprise, or gifts that you got for someone, just something like that.. little things
But to keep secrets about more major things like, being depressed and the reason you're depressed because you don't want ur partner to be mad at the reason you're depressed or, some medical condition u dont' want ur partner to know.. things like that SHOULDN'T be kept to yourself!!!!!!
I know i'm rambling on and on but it is really bugging me.. and I just needed to get it out..
and NO I don't think I am perfect or that I have the greatest marriage.. EVERYONE has problems in thier marriage.. but COMMUNICATION is soo important to keep understanding what the other one is going through or feeling..
With that said.. I am gonna close this post..
I'm pretty lucky that Robert and I both have an open relationship and don't keep any secrets from each other.. No matter how much I try to keep something from him.. I always end up telling him everything.. because we both made a promise to never keep anything from each other, and we took our vows "for better or for worse" So if there's something bad that has happened.. that's a part of the "Or For Worse"...
So, why can't people who are married or in a committed relationship be honest with their loved ones?? no matter how bad it is.. if the other person gets mad.. I'm sure they will get over it once they understand why and what happened.. but to keep it a secret and hope they dont' ever find out, I think makes the situation even worse once the other person finds out because it's bound to come out somehow , someway.. It's NEVER worth keeping secrets from those you love..
I remember back in middle school I had a guidance counselor who told me.. "onec you lie..it'll come back on you sooner or later" and I do believe keeping a secret is a lie..
Granted, there is a few secrets that should be kept.. but for little things like, a birthday party that's gonna be a surprise, or gifts that you got for someone, just something like that.. little things
But to keep secrets about more major things like, being depressed and the reason you're depressed because you don't want ur partner to be mad at the reason you're depressed or, some medical condition u dont' want ur partner to know.. things like that SHOULDN'T be kept to yourself!!!!!!
I know i'm rambling on and on but it is really bugging me.. and I just needed to get it out..
and NO I don't think I am perfect or that I have the greatest marriage.. EVERYONE has problems in thier marriage.. but COMMUNICATION is soo important to keep understanding what the other one is going through or feeling..
With that said.. I am gonna close this post..




1 Comments:
I appreciate your concern. All is well.
Post a Comment
<< Home